Friday, March 13, 2009

More news from Cate

Last night I went to see the rather wonderful Chicks On Speed exhibition Via La Craft. It's a great multi medium (and media ) extravaganza which would be appreciated by anyone who like me, enjoys the music of Peaches, Sonic Youth. Bikini Kill or just plain noise, or enjoys the post-1990's DIY punk meets craft ethic.

I felt quite conservative in my black 1950's style work dress (I'm a bit fat and old for fluro) but I had a great time. I caught up with Fashion Hayley and some other friends which was most lovely.

After wards I went to a friend's house for a Japanese meal which was great fun. Yummy miso and homemade gyoza and lots of wine. My friend kindly supplied me with a big plastic bag of cassette tapes which she'd unearthed at a charity shop in the country and bought for a few dollars. Busy times ahead! Tonight I'm going to see The Stranglers. They're not playing until 11pm so it's highly likely I'll have a nana nap first....

Tomorrow I'm off to yoga, The Craft show with Steph then there's a friend's housewarming tomorrow night.

Sunday will be a day of crafting and rest. Hopefully I haven't invited anyone over and forgotten. Might make some dahl for during the week too. I really need to have more wholesome food and dahl is good as it's low fat, good for protein and freezes well. I need lots of protein and not too much wheat (gives me migraines) . If I don't get enough protein I get severe sugar cravings which doesn't help with a healthy lifestyle.

I'll bring along some salads and brown rice or rice cakes for lunch each day.
Here's my favourite recipe (I usually add a few veggies for substance):

Lentil dhal


Ingredients (serves 4)


1 cup (300g) red lentils, rinsed well
3cm fresh ginger, sliced
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick
2 tbs (40g) nuttlex
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garam marsala
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
2 tbs lemon juice
1/2-1 tsp salt
1 tbs chopped coriander leaves
Naan bread or pappadums, to serve


Method
Place lentils, ginger, bay leaves and cinnamon in a large saucepan with 3 cups of cold water. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring to prevent sticking for 10-12 minutes. Discard spices and set aside.


Heat the butter in a large frying pan over a medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic, turmeric, cumin, garam marsala and chilli flakes and cook for a further minute or until fragrant. Stir in the lemon juice and season to taste with salt.

Add the lentils to the pan and mix well. Cook for a further 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Stir in coriander and serve hot with naan bread or pappadums.


YUMMY!

0 comments: