Thursday, February 5, 2009

Life Magazine and Coles Phillips

I've always been a huge fan of Life Magazine and it's beautiful illustrations and photography. In particular the work of artist Coles Phillips. I have quite a few on my computer, and I wanted to share some of them with you.


Isn't his technique amazing?!
The Fadeaway Girl was the particular hallmark of COLES PHILLIPS (1880-1927). Phillips pictured fashionable young women, using the device of tying the figure into the background by either color, value or pattern. This approach produced an intriguing poster-like effect of great simplicity, yet it was based on the most careful preliminary planning of shapes to carry out the illusion of the full figure." From www.illustration-house.com:"

And here's a couple more:

1 comments:

Drewzel said...

Love Coles Phillips too! I had a fadeaway pic of a girl with chickens for the header of my Shabby Chicken blog for a long while there. :D