Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A few random observations from my time in the UK

A few random observations at one running my own crafty and creative retail business and workshops:
  • Handmade crafts are difficult to find in London. Most crafts upon closer observation are actually factory produced.
  • Craft classes and studios are big business with classes ranging from sewing to DIY products.
  • Sadly, Urban Outfitters and Anthropologie clothes are really of appalling quality, particularly considering the price they are retailed at.
  • Many items look far better online than in person.
  • Women's trainers are difficult to find in colours besides white and pink (argh) if tou want something a bit better than cons but not too expensive.
  • There will always be a market for good cheese and bread.
  • Books are hugely overpriced in Australia (my husband has his own publishing company and I know how much he makes from the books he sells and it's almost nothing).
  • Since I have been away (nearly two months) three of my retail stockists have closed down in Australia.






blog comments powered by Disqus